Re: [Exim] Solaris based Web mail

Author: Julian King
To: s.choudhury
CC: exim-users, uk-mail-managers
Subject: Re: [Exim] Solaris based Web mail

> Is there any webmail which runs on Solaris platform. We have
> experimented with WebMail from infinite.com but it runs on NT. Our
> main mail servers would be on Solaris Machines. So it would be ideal
> to have both the webmail and MTA on the same machine.
> I have been looking at IMP - seems very very difficult to install and
> get it right.
> We would be using IMAP from UW. The format will be most probably mbx.
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Sujit

You don't say what sort of load you intend to put on the machine.
Are we talking about 100 users with a maximum of 10 connecting at
a time, or 30000 with a maximum of 1k connecting at a time? If
the former then IMP will work just fine. If the latter then according
to some research by the mailgroup here the only one which is tested
with a significant load is Wing as used/written in Oxford Uni by
Malcolm Beattie (who is on the exim mailing list, I think?)

With all possible respect and credit to Malcolm and Wing, it is a
fairly complex beast to set up, and requires several machines to
use it to its full advantage.

Other than that, there a lot of homebrew systems out there, and
several on the horizon, which may well do what you want. In particular
I seem to recall that the new (not yet available?) version of Imp may
keep state in some fashion.

Julian
--
Julian King
Computer Officer, University of Cambridge, Unix Support