[Exim] Re: Solaris based Web mail

Author: Phil Chambers
To: Dave Temple
CC: exim-users, uk-mail-managers, s.choudhury
Subject: [Exim] Re: Solaris based Web mail
> The IMP web mailer from the Horde project ( http://www.horde.org ) will run on
> any version of Unix as it is written in PHP. There is a commercial mailer
> (actually based on IMP) called SilkyMail which also runs on Unix. In theory at
> least (since it also is written in PHP) it should run on Solaris as well. The
> SilkyMail mailer is by Cyrusoft ( http://www.cyrusoft.com/silkymail/index.html
> ).
>
> We run IMP here on Linux. We have run it since Easter of this year, however
> this term will be the first year that we have recommended it as the default
> student mailer (which should be interesting).

Be very careful before you introduce an IMP based system IMP is horrendous in the
way it uses IMAP. For example it creates and closes three IMAP sessions just to
display the initial page of the index of the inbox. Every click of the mouse seems
to produce several IMAP sessions each of which opens the inbox or folder.

If you expect any significant number of users then the load may cause real problems.

You need to be looking for a system which holds IMAP sessions open between web pages
(WebMail with InfiniteInterchange does that).

Phil.
Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter