[Exim] Re: Solaris based Web mail

Author: Graeme Wood
To: Dave Temple
CC: s.choudhury, exim-users, uk-mail-managers
Subject: [Exim] Re: Solaris based Web mail
We are running IMP and whilst it has yet to be used in anger it seems to
do most things reasonably well. I suspect that the load it will place on
the server will be fairly high as it holds no state and so starts up and
tears down IMAP connections for every operation - mind you so
does Pegasus.

However, I haven't found it particularly hard to install and once you have
done it once you will find it quite easy to do; I have upgraded our
systems four times now with update releases and it takes me less than 15
minutes to do even with all of our local modifications.

Graeme

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Dave Temple wrote:

> The IMP web mailer from the Horde project ( http://www.horde.org ) will run on
> any version of Unix as it is written in PHP. There is a commercial mailer
> (actually based on IMP) called SilkyMail which also runs on Unix. In theory at
> least (since it also is written in PHP) it should run on Solaris as well. The
> SilkyMail mailer is by Cyrusoft ( http://www.cyrusoft.com/silkymail/index.html
> ).
>
> We run IMP here on Linux. We have run it since Easter of this year, however
> this term will be the first year that we have recommended it as the default
> student mailer (which should be interesting).
>
> It works very well with Exim by the way. But then most things do :-)
>
> On Sep 28, 10:01am, Sujit Choudhury wrote:
> > Subject: Solaris based Web mail
> > Is there any webmail which runs on Solaris platform. We have
> > experimented with WebMail from infinite.com but it runs on NT. Our
> > main mail servers would be on Solaris Machines. So it would be ideal
> > to have both the webmail and MTA on the same machine.
> > I have been looking at IMP - seems very very difficult to install and
> > get it right.
> > We would be using IMAP from UW. The format will be most probably mbx.
> > Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Sujit

> > Sujit Choudhury
> > Unix & E-Mail Systems Administrator
> > E-Mail    : S.Choudhury@???
> > Ext Tel No: 020 - 7753 3105
> > Internal Tel No: 2302

> >-- End of excerpt from Sujit Choudhury

Graeme Wood                                 Email: Graeme.Wood@???
Unix Systems Support                        Phone: +44 131 650 5003
The University of Edinburgh                 Fax:   +44 131 650 6552