Re: [Exim] About running the whole mail system as 'exim'

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] About running the whole mail system as 'exim'
On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:24:11 -0700, "Trevor Sky Garside"
<trevor@???> wrote:
>What popper do you use? I've been very unlucky so far finding a decently
>configurable popper (apart from, of course, tinkering with the source before
>compiling). I particularly like the concept of running everything non-root,
>but right now my popper (qpopper) relies on the etc/passwd file to obtain
>UIDs from. I would really appreciate anything you can recommend.

What I'd like to see is a popper that can do POP3 out of arbitrary
mailboxes, not only one mailbox per account, and per-mailbox
configurable authentication. That'd probably need a config file like
this:

#username    mailbox file    password
mh        ~mh/.mail/mailbox    secret
mh-lists        ~mh/.mail/lists        secret
joe        ~joe/.mail/mailbox    secret
john        /var/spool/mail/john    secret

I'd like to be able to allow or deny certain authentication methods
for certain mailboxes. For example, use APOP only by default (not
allowing cleartext passwords), but allow john - who happens to use a
braindead client that can't do APOP - to do cleartext authentication
nevertheless.

Greetings
Marc