Re: [Exim] About running the whole mail system as 'exim'

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] About running the whole mail system as 'exim'
exim-users.exim.org@??? said:
> What I'd like to see is a popper that can do POP3 out of arbitrary
> mailboxes, not only one mailbox per account, and per-mailbox
> configurable authentication.

The easiest way of doing this is to use maildir spool format and use
the qmail popper. This takes a separate (very small) authentication
program which also sets the directory of the pop maildir. The auth
program could easily be written in perl or similar to allow prototyping
or very wierd processing....

If you need IMAP as well then life would probably be a little more
interesting, but doable as long as the layout was saneish. One
definitely possibility would be to have a checkpasswd program for the
qmail pop program which took a username like <mailbox>:<username> and
then authed against username and changed to mailbox.

    Nigel.
    Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]