Re: [Exim] Mailing lists

Author: Dave C.
To: Philip Hazel
CC: davidturetsky, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mailing lists

I think the problem here is that David is trying to use exim as an MUA
- trying to have it do what a client such as say Outlook might do with
an Addressbook entry that had all the email addresses he wanted to send
to on it. I think this might be called a 'distribution list'

David, a mailing list is something that has a publically available
email address (of its own), than anyone can send mail to, that then
re-sends the message to all members of the list. In order for that to
work you need to either have an internet domain registered with
nameservers set up properly for the domain, and appropriate records,
or, if you want to use a subdomain of your ISP, then they need to set
that up.

It sounds more like you simply want to be able to send a message to
some list of addresses. A fairly short script could be written which
did that..

Here is a framework which will need customization but should give you
an idea:

#!/bin/bash

(
echo "HELO davidturetsky"
echo "MAIL FROM: <davituretsky@???>"
for x in `cat file.of.addresses`; do
echo "RCPT TO: $x"
done
echo "DATA"
echo "From: davidturetsky <davidturetsky@???>"
echo "Bcc:"
echo "Subject: whatever..."
echo ""
echo " Hi There! This is the message"
echo " More message lines"
echo " More message lines"
echo " More message lines"
echo " More message lines"
echo ""
echo ""
echo "."
echo "QUIT"
) | exim -bS

I must add as a sidenote that I seriously hope that you will be sending
only to persons who have specifically and knowingly requested to
receive your messages - doing otherwise is quite rude and is considered
theft of time and resources by most email users - and will likely
result in the swift termination of your MSN account (even if you use a
made-up address to send from - MSN will be able to identify your
account by IP address)