Re: [Exim] Adding a disclaimer to out going emails

Author: Peter Galbavy
To: james, Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Adding a disclaimer to out going emails
> We've still got to sort this out for a client of ours - they want adverts
> adding, and I thought the new law would be a wonderful way to not have to

do it
> ;-) Sadly all their users on signup agree to allow them to add adverts in

the
> terms+conditions.

I refused business like this. More risk than reward - and trust me the
carrot was a very large virtual type.

> >   3. It is illegal under German and Dutch law to change the body of
> >      a mail message in transit.  It might potentially be illegal in
> >      the UK under European law.

> ..unless the customers have signed T+C allowing you to, I'd imagine.

Not always. Remember "statutory rights not affected" ? I would check with
*your* legal person as to your liability position here, not just advise your
client to do so. There are different types of law, and some cannot be signed
away in T&Cs - see the "Unfair Terms In Consumer Contracts Act" (I think).

> I agree. In an ideal world deals would not get signed agreeing to
> provide such a service. Unfortunately marketroids and salesdrones are not
> rational, practical people.
>
> If anyone has got this working and wouldn't mind sharing the setup info,

I'd be
> grateful to hear from you.

Again, I would very stongly advise caution at the legal - not the
technical - level.

Peter