Re: [Exim] Adding a disclaimer to out going emails

Author: james
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] Adding a disclaimer to out going emails
On 12-Jun-00 Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> Adding footers to mail in the MTA is wrong because:-
>   1. It breaks digital signatures.  As these became legally binding
>      in the last few weeks thats particularly bad timing

We've still got to sort this out for a client of ours - they want adverts
adding, and I thought the new law would be a wonderful way to not have to do it
;-) Sadly all their users on signup agree to allow them to add adverts in the
terms+conditions.

> 2. It breaks MIME encoding

Unless you're very, very careful.

>   3. It is illegal under German and Dutch law to change the body of
>      a mail message in transit.  It might potentially be illegal in
>      the UK under European law.

..unless the customers have signed T+C allowing you to, I'd imagine.

> 6. It is not the job of an MTA to modify content.

I agree. In an ideal world deals would not get signed agreeing to
provide such a service. Unfortunately marketroids and salesdrones are not
rational, practical people.

If anyone has got this working and wouldn't mind sharing the setup info, I'd be
grateful to hear from you.

james

--
James Greenhalgh - Unix Systems Architect

* The views in this message are not those of Powernet Telecom Ltd *