Re: [Exim] Adding a disclaimer to out going emails

Author: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] Adding a disclaimer to out going emails
Quoth james@??? on Tue, Jun 13, 2000:
> On 12-Jun-00 Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> > Adding footers to mail in the MTA is wrong because:-
> >   1. It breaks digital signatures.  As these became legally binding
> >      in the last few weeks thats particularly bad timing

> We've still got to sort this out for a client of ours - they want adverts
> adding, and I thought the new law would be a wonderful way to not have to do it
> ;-) Sadly all their users on signup agree to allow them to add adverts in the
> terms+conditions.

Such phrases as "I refuse to do it" might work.

> > 2. It breaks MIME encoding
>
> Unless you're very, very careful.

Then it breaks it harder. Think about PGP/MIME, BTW, although I
don't know how it works. And if you add yet another MIME part
with the disclaimer in the end, I'm not sure all MUAs will show
it.

> >   3. It is illegal under German and Dutch law to change the body of
> >      a mail message in transit.  It might potentially be illegal in
> >      the UK under European law.

> ..unless the customers have signed T+C allowing you to, I'd imagine.

I, Vadim Vygonets, hereafter referred as EMPLOYEE, hereby allow
Big Evil Company, hereafter referred as EMPLOYER, to tamper with
mail I send. Yeah right.

> * The views in this message are not those of Powernet Telecom Ltd *

Ah, OK.

The views in this message ARE, in fact, the official views of
BOFH Consulting. But they are not those of the Hebrew University
of Jerusalem, nor those of Planet (or whoever hosts the mailing
list), nor those of the owner of the machine you received the
message to.

Vadik.

--
The ill-formed Orange