Re: [Exim] web front end and SQL support

Author: Dave C.
To: Peter Salvage
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] web front end and SQL support
On Tue, 2 May 2000, Peter Salvage wrote:

> Hi all
>
> My apologies if the following has been asked and answered previously.
> I'm a brand new convert to the world of FreeBSD from the planet of Borg
> and chose Exim as it was recommended and well...the logo's kewl :-)
>
> Therefore, with that long preamble out of the way, may I preface my
> questions with the statement that I am obviously a neophyte and flames
> etc can be directed to me off-list...to...er...I think it's called
> /dev/null?
>
> 1. Is there a web interface for users at all? If so could some kind soul
> please point me in the appropriate direction.

Exim, like sendmail, is only an MTA, it is not an MUA (eg, it does not
provide a POP or IMAP server, nor any other was for users to read their
mailboxes)

> 2. I saw a post in the archives about mysql - currently we use M$ SQL7
> to manage our users, and I would hate to have to migrate that into
> another db. Is there a method of authenticating users of multiple
> domains against an M$ SQL db?

In light of my previous, while you probably will want to use your mysql
data for directing and delivery of messages, you will need some POP or
IMAP daemon that supports mysql authentication for reading mail. (One
exception is if you want to configure SMTP AUTH for your clients
sending mail through your server from foreign networks..)