Re: [Exim] Angry users because we use rbl_domains

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Ian Southam
A: Daniel Buchholz
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Angry users because we use rbl_domains
On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 12:50:04PM +0100 Daniel Buchholz wrote :

> I tried everything that came to my mind to explain the functionality and
> advantages to them.
> I told them that OTHER systems have the problem, not OURS.
> The customer considered this to be censorship.

And surely it is? The truth is, in the spirit of the Internet whatever our
good intentions, we surely have NO right to intefere with our customers email?
The Internet is based on interoperability and what is starting to happen is,
that our attempts to foil the actions of illegal advertisers and con merchants
is reducing that and, causing us to censor our end users mail.

ORBS also block systems based on their potential to do wrong, not on whether
they have and morally that is questionable.

This is one of the reasons why we could do with an easy to implement a scheme
whereby we can opt local users in and out of the local rbl checking. The
problem is, that mosts systems have hosted domains, some local users, some
remote, some UUCP, SMTP and so on and defining an opt in system is an absolute
nightmare.

--
Ian