Re: [Exim] Angry users because we use rbl_domains

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Chris Bayliss
A: Daniel Buchholz
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Angry users because we use rbl_domains

> Hey Folks!
>
> We provide mail service for our customers.
>
> Does anyone have some new idea how to explain to them why we have
> rbl_domains set?
> Seems as if they are considering to look for a new provider because they
> can't receive mail from THEIR customers because the sending systems appear
> in the ORBS database.
>
> I tried everything that came to my mind to explain the functionality and
> advantages to them.
> I told them that OTHER systems have the problem, not OURS.
> The customer considered this to be censorship.
>
> Any ideas? Experience?

We don't use ORBS, but do use RBL, DUL and RSS. It does catch out come
legitimate email. A mechanism for allowing them to opt out seems to
have gone a long way to solving this problem.

It is quite easy to allow people to opt out of the blocks and requires
little or no effort to maintain the opting out list once set up. All
you need is a piece of software which maintains a list of mailing
addresses (we use majordomo, but there are others - any mailing list
software which maintains lists of email addresses in a suitable format
will do). Our users then subscribe to a list in the same way as any
other mailing list (we call the list rbl-opt-out).

There is then a simple cron job which builds the list into a dbm file
regularly. exim is configured as follows (there may be more appropriate
ways)

    rbl_reject_recipients = yes
    recipients_reject_except = dbm; /usr/exim/tables/rbl-opt-out

We use the confirm option on the list membership which sends a message
explaining the potential consequences of opting out and that we will
not be able to help with any adverse consequences of being on the list
unless the junk email is extremely serious and probably illegal (child
pornography, blackmail and death threats are given as examples). We
also point out that they can leave the list at any time (we do word it
a little more strongly than this).

We publicise our policy and the opt out facility. In addition to
this, the option is offered to anyone who complains about anything
being blocked which shouldn't be. Interestingly only one of these has
taken up the option and seek alternative solutions. Most get in touch
with the sender who get their company/ISP to fix the open relay. Some
ISPs deliberately run open relays but even the one who causes us the
most problems in this area can advise their customers of an
alternative. One or two senders have moved to alternative email
providers.

Chris Bayliss
Senior Compuer Officer
IS ICSD PT