Re: [EXIM] Smartlist and exim

Author: Jim Pick
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Smartlist and exim

> What you do need is to ensure that choplist is used for distribution (ie
> do not uncomment the "alt_sendmail" entry which is blank).

I just ran into a problem with some new smartlist lists I was running
on top of exim using the defaults.

After the the mailing list got up to 60 or so users, I started getting
these errors:

1997-11-08 09:23:00 0xUEb6-0001dO-00 string too long in header_add

So I changed minnames and maxnames (in rc.init) from their defaults
of 32 and 64:

minnames        =       10      # minimum number of names per call
maxnames        =       20      # maximum number of names per call

and that seemed to fix it.

Just wondering if you needed any special stuff like that.

Also, exim seemed to be appended Resent-To headers to my lists with
the names of the subscribers. I was able to remove them with the
following in exim.conf:

smtp:
remove_headers = "Resent-To",
driver = smtp;

I noticed this list doesn't have the Resent- headers. Are you doing
something special to remove them also? Or is there something odd in my
configuration that is causing them to be added? I haven't done much
customization at all...

It would be nice to have a little exim+smartlist HOWTO, perhaps
distributed as part of the exim source.

Cheers,

- Jim