[EXIM] Smartlist and exim

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Rob Lingelbach
CC: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Smartlist and exim
[I'm copying this answer to the list since it may be of general
interest...]

rob@??? said:
} Nigel, are you using SmartList? (looks like)

Yes.

} if so, do you have SmartList set up with its own account?

Yes.

} I'm wondering how you have 'Sender: exim-users-request@....' under
} exim. I used to have that Sender headerline added by smail-3 for my
} SmartList mailinglists, but since I've switched to exim, the Sender
} line is now rob@???, which is the account under which I
} run SmartList... and I would prefer to have the -request address
} appear in the Sender line. I've read the exim docs on Sender and am
} not clear that I can do this.

OK, this is what I have done...

I'm using SmartList/procmail 3.11pre7 (latest around - however development
appears now to be moribund). It does run as its own user - trying to
manage mailing lists under your own ID can be hard work (although qmail
does this well).

Smartlist is installed into /var/spool/slist
There is an slist user defined.
Each list appears as a directory under /var/spool/slist (as per usual for
Smarlist).

Exim is configured like this:-
    # slist added to list of trusted users so it can
    # manipulate sender addresses
    trusted_users = exim:slist

    # in transports, a list transport is defined:-
    list_transport:
      driver = pipe;
      command = "/var/spool/slist/.bin/flist ${local_part}${local_part_suffix}
",
      current_directory = "/var/spool/slist",
      home_directory = "/var/spool/slist",
      user = slist,
      group = slist

    # in directors a list director is defined:-
    list_director:
      driver = smartuser,
      suffix = -request,
      suffix_optional,
      except_local_parts = ".bin:.etc",
      require_files = /var/spool/slist/${local_part}/rc.init,
      transport = list_transport;

and thats it - no aliases, no special handling of out lists etc.

What you do need is to ensure that choplist is used for distribution (ie
do not uncomment the "alt_sendmail" entry which is blank).

I force a couple of other things - for example since the list runs in its
own domain I force the domain value to exim.org.

Then everything else is basic SmartList configuration - and thats
moderately well documented.  I have just added a confirmation stage on
signup - now when you subscribe you are sent a confirmation which you must
return before the system subscribes you (this prevents people subscribing
their "friends" and makes sure that the addresses really do work!).  The
confirm package is available at:-
    ftp://ftp.fatfree.com/confirm-1.1.tar.gz

and was written by Michelle Dick (who certainly used to be on this list -
thank you Michelle).

The combination of procmail, smartlist and exim on a spare underpowered
linux box runs things very nicely.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 251 6012                   Fax : +44 113 224 0003 ]