Is this exim or DNS?

Author: Evan Leibovitch
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Is this exim or DNS?

Logged in as user evan, logged into bigbird.telly.org and testing exim.
In my exim config I have "qualify_domain" set to "telly.org" and
"primary_hostname" set up as "gate.telly.org" since that's my Internet
interface; `hostname` reports "bigbird", the Ethernet interface.

I get the following:

$ exim -bt evan@???
LOG: 0 MAIN
lowest MX record for bigbird.telly.org.telly.org points to local host
evan@??? cannot be resolved at this time:
lowest numbered MX record points to local host

$ exim -bt evan@bigbird
LOG: 0 MAIN
  remote host address for bigbird.telly.org is the local host
evan@bigbird cannot be resolved at this time:
  remote host address is the local host

$ exim -bt evan
evan@???
local delivery to evan in domain telly.org
director = localuser, transport = local_delivery

Is this an exim thing or bad DNS? Nslookup appears to work OK on that
host.

Thanks.
- Evan