Re: Is this exim or DNS?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Evan Leibovitch
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Is this exim or DNS?
On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> Logged in as user evan, logged into bigbird.telly.org and testing exim.
> In my exim config I have "qualify_domain" set to "telly.org" and
> "primary_hostname" set up as "gate.telly.org" since that's my Internet
> interface; `hostname` reports "bigbird", the Ethernet interface.

primary_hostname is supposed to be the name of the host you are running
on. Therefore it should be bigbird.telly.org. This is used when Exim
sends out mail, in the HELO command, and some hosts check this.

qualify_domain specifies the email domain to qualify unqualified
addresses with.

local_domains contains the names of the mail domains you want to
recognize and handle on the host you are running on. It defaults to the
qualify domain.

Thus, your system will recognize only addresses likd evan@??? as
local. Anything else it will treat as remote. This entirely consistent
with what you get:

> I get the following:
>
> $ exim -bt evan@???
> LOG: 0 MAIN
> lowest MX record for bigbird.telly.org.telly.org points to local host
> evan@??? cannot be resolved at this time:
> lowest numbered MX record points to local host
>
> $ exim -bt evan@bigbird
> LOG: 0 MAIN
>   remote host address for bigbird.telly.org is the local host
> evan@bigbird cannot be resolved at this time:
>   remote host address is the local host

> $ exim -bt evan
> evan@???
> local delivery to evan in domain telly.org
> director = localuser, transport = local_delivery
>

> Is this an exim thing or bad DNS? Nslookup appears to work OK on that
> host.

If you want *.telly.org to be recognized as local, you need to set
local_domains = *.telly.org:telly.org, as another poster said.