Re: [EXIM] Solaris/DB library

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Adrian Bool
CC: Andy Mell, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Solaris/DB library
On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Adrian Bool wrote:

> Genuine question: Is there anything 'bad' about using the builtin Sorais
> ndbm routines ? Kinda relying onthem quite heavily now ;-)

We are using them on our big general-purpose systems, and there doesn't
seem to be any problem in the way they work. (We use DB 1.85 on our
mail-only systems.)

The main problem is that a DBM database is held in two separate files
(the .dir and .pag files). This means that it isn't possible to update
such a file (e.g. an alias file) atomically by renaming a new file, as
is possible with other DB libraries that use only one file.