Re: sender/receiver verifying ... how ?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Bruno.Vuillemin
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: Is this exim or DNS?
Subject: Re: sender/receiver verifying ... how ?
On Wed, 5 Nov 1997 Bruno.Vuillemin@??? wrote:

> If I read correctly the (very good) documentation
> it's like running "exim -bv <email-address>"
> and it should be comparable to "exim -bt <email-address>"

There is a difference between -bv and -bt.

-bt does exactly what Exim would do if asked to deliver to the address.
It is useful for checking what would happen if a message is sent to that
address.

-bv does what Exim would do when verifying an incoming address as a
result of the setting of sender_verify or recipients_verify. This isn't
the same thing as -bt, because Exim does it in a "verifying" state,
which can be detected by the directors and routers and so they can be
made to behave differently.

Why would one want there to be a difference? Here are two example
cases:

1. Consider mail that is incoming for a local user. You want to verify
that that local user exists, but you are not really concerned with
whether there is a .forward file and whether what it contains is valid
or not. If no_verify is set on the forwardfile director, then it is
skipped when verifying.

2. Perhaps you don't want to verify recipients at SMTP time, but instead
pass all unknown local parts to some pipe that does a fuzzy search, or
sends back a specific message (we do this for some domains). However,
you do want to verify message senders, including those in your domain.
In this case you would want to set no_verify on the smartuser director
that picked up the unknown local parts, so that it doesn't match when
verifying.

In all cases, verifying consists just of running Exim's routers and
directors. It does not attempt to make contact with any remote host.