sender/receiver verifying ... how ?

Author: Bruno.Vuillemin
To: exim-users
Subject: sender/receiver verifying ... how ?
Hello

It's not clear to me what exactely sender_verify / receiver_verify do.

If I read correctly the (very good) documentation
it's like running "exim -bv <email-address>"
and it should be comparable to "exim -bt <email-address>"

Let's go back to the real world, "@unifr.ch" is not a local domain in
the following examples,
bruno.vuillemin@??? is really a valid address,
bruno.vuilleminzzzzzzzzzz@??? of course not.

# /usr/local/exim/bin/exim -bv bruno.vuillemin@???
bruno.vuillemin@??? verified
# /usr/local/exim/bin/exim -bt bruno.vuillemin@???
bruno.vuillemin@???
remote delivery to bruno.vuillemin@???
router = lookuphost_mx, transport = remote_smtp
host swifr9.unifr.ch [134.21.1.5] MX=10

Well, not a lot of things to say.

# /usr/local/exim/bin/exim -bv bruno.vuilleminzzzzzzzzzz@???
bruno.vuilleminzzzzzzzzzz@??? verified
# /usr/local/exim/bin/exim -bt bruno.vuilleminzzzzzzzzzz@???
bruno.vuilleminzzzzzzzzzz@???
remote delivery to bruno.vuilleminzzzzzzzzzz@???
router = lookuphost_mx, transport = remote_smtp
host swifr9.unifr.ch [134.21.1.5] MX=10

Hmmm this looks like the verification looked for the mail exchanger
for the domain and no more.

I am rigth or I am missing something?

I was probably a bit naive and thinking that either a VRFY or
a fake mail transmission was initiated on the other way.
It's true that such a control may be considered "paranoid"
and that checking the MX for a domain is enough.

Thanks
Bruno Vuillemin