[EXIM] Linux and DB file locking

Author: Evan Leibovitch
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Linux and DB file locking

I can tell, going through the docs, that the issue of DBM libraries has
been a painful one to deal with. Yet, I have a problem that is getting
beyond me...

Exim 1.71
Linux (Caldera OpenLinux, kernel 2.0.29)
gdbm 1.7.3

I am having no luck whatsoever in making this work.

I've tried setting and unsetting USE_GDBM and DB_LOCKS_ITSELF
in my OS/Makefile-Linux file, as well as "DBMLIB = -lgdbm".

Yet I can't get the db file to work mormally.
Here's the output of 'test_dbfn /tmp':

Exim's db functions tester: interface type is ndbm
DBM library: probably GDBM

EXIM_DBFD(dbm,&fd) yields "*(&fd) = dbm_dirfno(dbm)"
dbm_dirfno(dbm) yields "dbm_dirfno(dbm)"

USE_DB is not defined
DBM_PAGFNO_EXISTS is not defined

Test the functions
> open stuff

opened DB file /tmp/db/stuff: flags=42 fd = 3
LOG: 0 MAIN
Failed to get write lock for /tmp/db/stuff: Device or resource busy
Failed to open stuff: No such file or directory

[ the filenames 'stuff.dir' and 'stuff.pag', hardlinked to the same 12K
file as the docs said, were ceated. ]

Can anyone who *has* compiled this stuff properly under this environment
give me an idea of what they did?

Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software Ltd, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
Supporting PC-based Unix since 1985 / Caldera & SCO authorized / www.telly.org
----------------- HURD is to Linux as Plan 9 is to System V ------------------