[EXIM] Is this exim or DNS?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Evan Leibovitch
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: [EXIM] Linux and DB file locking
Subject: [EXIM] Is this exim or DNS?
On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> I'd like to be able to do this but I'm finding that some mailers
> don't like it (smail, especially).

... and the next release of Exim will have an option.

> When I send mail the SMTP connection is made from my PPP-to-the-Internet
> interface, which reverse-DNSs to "gate" (this is under the control of my
> ISP and I can't change that easily). Some MTAs (the new Smail, for
> instance) do a reverse lookup on the connection and see that it's "gate",
> not "bigbird" -- and fails the mail if HELO says "bigbird".

In that case you have to do what you have to do. What a mess. Not having
IP addresses tied to individual names is leading to more and more
problems. Sigh.

You will have to set primary_hostname, qualify_domain, and local_domains
appropriately.