Re: locally_caseless... with mixed case login names

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jon Peatfield
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: locally_caseless... with mixed case login names
On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Jon Peatfield wrote:

> The problem is, that if given "tapelib" how can it tell that there is an entry
> "TapeLib" in the passwd database? Certainly you don't want to do lots of
> differently cased getpwnam's and searching the entire database is also slow.

Yup, that's exactly the problem. And if you have "TapeLib" in the passwd
database, it suggests you draw case distinctions, so maybe you want
"tapelib" to be a different login, that should get its own mail. (Of
course, this would confuse the outside world no end....)

> Maybe avoiding mixed case login names isn't so bad after all...

It seems to me to be the easiest way to avoid problems in this area.