Re: locally_caseless... with mixed case login names

Author: Greg A. Woods
To: Jon Peatfield
CC: Exim Users, jp107
Subject: Re: locally_caseless... with mixed case login names
[sorry -- I don't know who's on the list and who's not so I've left all
the Cc's in....]

[ On Sun, November 2, 1997 at 04:24:06 (+0000), Jon Peatfield wrote: ]
> Subject: locally_caseless... with mixed case login names
>
> I don't want that either! I want it to be caselessly matched but the
> existance of the login name "TapeLib" should permit mail to be sent to
> TapeLib@site or Tapelib@site or tapelib@site...
>
> Are we just weird or is there an undocumented way to do this? This is was
> smail did by default, so I assumed that exim would as well...

Yes, smail matches login names caselessly when deciding where to direct
local mail, but unless you had modified the local transport it delivers
to a mailbox filename with with the username in all lower-case.

Unfortunately, in smail at least, taking out the lower-casing of the
mailbox name when generating the filename doesn't do the right thing.
The case of the envelope address will then be used which of course might
never match the case of the local user-id, so unless you have hard links
with all possible case combinations to the user's mailbox spool file it
could end up anywhere.

The correct thing to do is to make available the user-id string, as it
appears in the password file (i.e. with case preserved), for use in
generating the mailbox filename. I presume Exim would need a similar fix.

(BTW, this is the first time the problem has come clearly enough to me
that I've come up with this hopefully ideal solution! Thanks!)

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods@???>; Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>