Re: locally_caseless... with mixed case login names

Author: Jon Peatfield
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: locally_caseless... with mixed case login names
[ I'll leave myself out this time, so I only get the list copy ]

> Yes, smail matches login names caselessly when deciding where to direct
> local mail, but unless you had modified the local transport it delivers
> to a mailbox filename with with the username in all lower-case.

Umm actually I was wrong, I meant that this is what sendmail did. For some
reason (I can't remember why now) although our mail was handled by smail the
final delivery was done on a system (systems in fact) using sendmail (and
/bin/mail).

The problem is, that if given "tapelib" how can it tell that there is an entry
"TapeLib" in the passwd database? Certainly you don't want to do lots of
differently cased getpwnam's and searching the entire database is also slow.
Maintaining a seperate database of the lowercased login names works but just
isn't done normally.

Maybe avoiding mixed case login names isn't so bad after all...

-- Jon