Re: several messages

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Evan Leibovitch, George Bonser
CC: bill, smail3-users, exim-users, Jim Gottlieb
Subject: Re: several messages
On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> Maybe I've come in too late to know the politics that cause the initial
> splintering -- but being on both exim and smail3 mailing lists, and
> watching all the duplicated effort, it does seem rather sad that there
> is no common ground upon which we can all build.

It wasn't politics, and I don't think "splintering" is really the right
word. I had come to the conclusion that, in order to obtain the
facilities I wanted, it would be better in the long run to write a new
mailer from scratch rather than continue to try to modify smail-3. I
wanted to have ANSI C code, and I did not want the bang-path UUCP stuff,
as we are a pure Internet site here. Those involved in the maintence of
smail were aware of my efforts more or less from the beginning (as Greg
has said), and I got plenty of encouragement and useful feedback from
them, for which I am grateful.

On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> I don't think the simple case of being able to send and receive mail
> should require any configuration beyond what can be learned at compile
> and run time directly from the system itself. My current impression of
> Exim is that it has far too many knobs to twist and not yet enough of a
> body of experience to show what the best setting for each is for the
> common cases (though I may be mistaken about this).

I believe that quite a few Exim users run it with the default
configuration supplied, but have no hard statistics to back this up.

On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, George Bonser wrote:

> All exim needs to replace smail in my application is 1) a table where domain ->
> uucp sites can be mapped OR ability to look up information in pathalias and 2)
> a file (like the /etc/smail/methods/table) file where I can specify a transport
> by domain. This is so I can send bsmtp to those that will handle it and spool
> it by uucp as usual for those that dont.

On a completely different thread on the Exim mailing list I have
suggested the idea of "dynamic transports", where the name of a
transport can be looked up at directing/routing time. This sounds as if
it is the kind of thing you are suggesting for looking up a transport by
domain.