Re: Message delay warning messages

Author: Richard Gilbert
To: Greg Andrews
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Message delay warning messages
On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Greg Andrews wrote:

> As I understand it, Sendmail doesn't generate warnings for messages
> that have certain values in the Precedence: header. I believe the
> values are commonly configured as 'list', 'bulk', and 'junk'.
>
> I don't know if Exim has the same functionality, but it seems to me
> like a good idea.

I have had a look at the code. In deliver.c there is:

/* Now the warning stuff */

  if (delay_warning > 0 && sender_address[0] != 0)
    {
    int queue_time = time(NULL) - received_time;
    int count = queue_time/delay_warning;

    if (warning_count < count)

The queue_time and warning_count appear to be kept on the fourth line of
the -H file. The above code suggests that a warning will be sent after
every delay_warning period has elapsed. (I may be wrong but I didn't
think that PP sent them quite so often after the first one.) I wondered
about adding extra code to look at the global variable message_precedence,
but my knowledge of C programming is rather limited and I would be worried
about adding something to the code just a few days before going on holiday
for three weeks! But perhaps there are more experienced C programmers who
could suggest something?

Richard
--
Richard Gilbert
Corporate Information and Computing Services