Message delay warning messages

Author: Greg Andrews
Subject: Message delay warning messages
Richard Gilbert <R.Gilbert@???> writes:

>The sending of such warnings can also create a lot of traffic locally...
>Last weekend a scheduled power cut meant that several important mail hosts
>had to be shut down for about 64 hours. This caused an awful lot of
>warning messages to be generated (from postmaster@???).
>However, many of these were generated by undelivered SPAM and so could not
>be delivered; consequently the site postmaster received hundreds of
>non-delivery reports. (I have started using a SPAM filter, but it will
>never catch it all.)
>
>There is another scheduled powercut this weekend. So any advice on the
>use of message delay warnings would be most gratefully received!

As I understand it, Sendmail doesn't generate warnings for messages
that have certain values in the Precedence: header. I believe the
values are commonly configured as 'list', 'bulk', and 'junk'.

I don't know if Exim has the same functionality, but it seems to me
like a good idea.

Do the messages from these mailing lists use a Precedence: header
to attempt suppression of warnings?

  -Greg
--
Greg Andrews                  West Coast Online
Unix System Administrator     5800 Redwood Drive