Re: Message delay warning messages

Author: Alexander Sharaz
To: Richard Gilbert
CC: exim-users, John Jordan, Miles Abernathy, uk-mail-managers
Subject: Re: Message delay warning messages
Hi all,

I would also be interested in any replies, as I've had complaints from mailing
list owners about warning messages (e.g. when someone has exceeded their quota)
being sent out to list managers or list members or initial senders.

On a related topic, I've been having a conversation with a list manager in NY
about where error messages for listserve type d-lists should go.

I've got a number of scripts that generate a standard set of automatic replies
for mail messages going to

a). Invalid e-mail addresses
b). duplicate addresses
c). People who have specifically requested that they do not receive e-mail
e). etc .....

The scripts run on our PP mail hubs and they send an auto-reply to either

The Reply-To address if it exists,
The From Field if it exists,
The address passed as an argument to the shell
script.

The list in question has a Reply-To field set up to be the sender of the
message, while the 1st argument to the shell script is of the form
owner-<listname>-l@........

The list manager says that I should send all error to the owner... address and
not the reply-to or from addresses.

What do other people do? If it's the LISTSERV d-list owner, do you just check
for the "owner-XXX-l" string in the sender (?) header? If I have to check for
messages from LISTSERV type list, are their any other d-list services I have to
check for as well?

Any thoughts, suggestions, help appreciated

Alex

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997 15:25:18 +0100 (BST) Richard Gilbert
<R.Gilbert@???> wrote:

> > Your site sends lots of warning messages out when a piece of mail cannot
> > be delivered. I wonder if you might consider changing that setting of
> > your mail software? All those warnings drive us mailing-list owners daffy!
>
> This has come up before when I was running PP on my mail hubs. At the
> time I probably thought that sending warnings after (by default) 24 hours
> was a PP idea, but now I have moved to running Exim on my two mail hubs
> and that does the same thing by default. Is this still a minority
> behaviour? Otherwise I would expect mailing-list owners like the one who
> mailed me the above message to be used to seeing them?
>
> The sending of such warnings can also create a lot of traffic locally...
> Last weekend a scheduled power cut meant that several important mail hosts
> had to be shut down for about 64 hours. This caused an awful lot of
> warning messages to be generated (from postmaster@???).
> However, many of these were generated by undelivered SPAM and so could not
> be delivered; consequently the site postmaster received hundreds of
> non-delivery reports. (I have started using a SPAM filter, but it will
> never catch it all.)
>
> There is another scheduled powercut this weekend. So any advice on the
> use of message delay warnings would be most gratefully received!
>
> Richard
> --
> Richard Gilbert
> Corporate Information and Computing Services
> University of Sheffield, Sheffield, S10 2TN, UK
> Phone: +44 114 222 3028 Fax: +44 114 222 3040

Rfc822:A.Sharaz@???
X.400:I=A;S=Sharaz:ou=Computer Centre;O=Hull;Prmd=UK.AC;C=GB
X.500:cn=Alexander Sharaz@ou=Computer Centre@o=University of Hull@c=GB
Sent using Simeon Mercury Alpha 3 over Win-OS2