Re: holding incoming messages?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: T. William Wells
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: holding incoming messages?
> Set queue_only in your configuration file. No messages will then ever
> get delivered automatically.

Unless, of course, I've got an exim -q running, which I do.

> Then write a Perl script to process the
> output of "exim -bp" and decide on the basis of the addresses which
> messages to push manually with "exim -M", or perhaps you could do it
> using the -R option. Run the script via cron at regular intervals.

Urk. This slows down delivery a *lot*.

> This *almost* does the job for you. The flaw is that there is no way to
> prod exim to attempt delivery for only one of number of different
> addresses in the same message.

That's not a concern. I'm happy to hold the message if any
address might cause a problem.

> Oh, hang on. Here is an alternative which may be even simpler: Set up a
> queryprogram router as your first router, and make it return "DEFER" all
> the time for those deliveries you don't want to do.

Nope, that one doesn't work at all -- I want to be able to
selectively attempt deliveries.

Anyway, if those are the options, I think I'll set the system
filter to freeze the messages and then do a "queue run" from a
perl script to unfreeze the ones I want delivered. But I'd really
prefer the mailer just freeze the ones I'd like to put on hold.

Suggestion:

How about an option on directors and routers that says: "if the
generic options for this entry specify that the message is to be
processed by this entry and the message has not been manually
thawed, freeze it"? This would be really handy for someone who is
tinkering with a particular entry -- set this option and
everything that hits it gets frozen, then he can selectively send
messages (e.g., test messages before real ones), until it looks
right. Then, remove the flag and unfreeze everything left....