Re: [exim] Debian Exim Pipe

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim-user
Subject: Re: [exim] Debian Exim Pipe
2008/5/28 Marc Haber <mh+exim-users@???>:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008 18:38:24 +0100, "Phil \(Medway Hosting\)"
> <phil@???> wrote:
>>If you don't mind me asking, (and no I DON'T have Debian) - What exactly is
>>the issue with Debian & Exim and why a separate list ? Because they have
>>modded it so much to make it work on that OS ? Is it really all that
>>different ? Just interested.
>
> We have added a little preprocessing to the config to allow script
> driven configuration using Debconf. The resulting configuration isn't
> _that_ different from stock exim's, but the people here on this list
> think otherwise.

Speaking personally - it's simply a fear of the unknown. Debian users
tend to know their system only in terms of what package name they
installed and what options they chose when configuring it - none of
which are in the control of the upstream product, and I don't feel
qualified to advise on them.

For example, if a user asks 'how do I make my MTA send all my outgoing
mail through my ISP's smarthost?'', the stock answer here would
involve creating a manualroute router. But the 'right' answer for a
Debian system is (I'm guessing) to reconfigure the package and choose
a different high-level option. Both answers would work, but the
Debian-focussed advice is better coming from a Debian expert.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter@???