Re: [exim] Debian Exim Pipe

Author: Marc Haber
To: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [exim] Debian Exim Pipe
On Wed, 28 May 2008 18:38:24 +0100, "Phil \(Medway Hosting\)"
<phil@???> wrote:
>If you don't mind me asking, (and no I DON'T have Debian) - What exactly is
>the issue with Debian & Exim and why a separate list ? Because they have
>modded it so much to make it work on that OS ? Is it really all that
>different ? Just interested.

We have added a little preprocessing to the config to allow script
driven configuration using Debconf. The resulting configuration isn't
_that_ different from stock exim's, but the people here on this list
think otherwise.

Otoh, Debian has a _lot_ of installations with most of their users
clueless when it comes to mail, so a good proportion of support
requests comes from Debian users who are not able to properly word
their issue.

Another problem is that people seem to ignore the large amount of
Debian-specific docs that come with the package, instead google for
things, find this mailing list and ask their Debian-specific questions
here instead on our own mailing list (which was created to take some
load off exim-users and costs me about four hours a week to answer the
questions coming up there).

Greetings
Marc