Re: [exim] Running our own email server on GCP

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Andrew C Aitchison
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Terrance Devor
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] Running our own email server on GCP
On Sat, 29 Jan 2022, Terrance Devor via Exim-users wrote:

> Hello Heiko,
>
> It was posted here
> https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/tutorials/sending-mail/
>
> I would really like to deploy a containerized EXIM using docker to GCP to
> manage sending email, and also a POP3 server such as dovecot to manage
> inbound emails. Can you please help direct in the right direction?

I can't point you in the right direction, as I don't run containers
on a cloud system.

However, I still don't undertand what you want to do.

If you want to receive mail on your server, then I would not have
thought that containers were the obvous way to go. The important thing
is to have a reliable place to store the received messages; a
container instance that comes and goes according to demand is not a
good place for permanent storage.

If you want outgoing mail from your Kubernetes cluster, the important
thing is a stable host act as a smarthost that stores messages until
they are delivered and logs. This smarthost would stay up; your
containers could closedown once they have completed their work and
passed emails to the smarthost.

Google Works, Sendgrid, Mailgun Mailjet and Amazon SES could all act as
your smarthost, but you said you absolutely need to run your own email
server on your GCP Kubernetes cluster ?

The cloud.google.com page you referred to also mentions corporate mail
servers. You could also do that if appropriate.

I suppose that if you run a smarthost (SMTP) and mailserver (POP/IMAP)
on a Kubernetes cluster you might have to use a container, but
this virtual? machine isn't particularly a container; it just has to be
put into one to run on the cluster.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                    Kendal, UK
             andrew@???