Re: [exim] Extra copies of list mail (was Re: CVE-2019-10149…

Author: Russell King
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Extra copies of list mail (was Re: CVE-2019-10149: already vulnerable ?)
On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 09:26:51AM -0400, Bill Cole via Exim-users wrote:
> On 25 Jun 2019, at 9:03, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:
>
> > PS:  I do not need an additional copy of list emails.  I get
> >      very tired of getting them.  If your MUA does not have
> >      a "reply to list" button, please get a better one.
> >      I swear, I'm going to start deliberately ignoring anyone
> >      who sends me a useless copy, real soon now.

> I entirely concur, but it is an understandable error given what the mailing
> list is now doing to sidestep DMARC risks:

Yes, but there's more points on this subject too...

Given that different lists have different policies, and that it takes
a mental decision by the replier to choose the correct reply method,
it seems to me that mistakes will happen.

For example, if you spend most of the week on Linux kernel related
lists, it's mandatory to use reply-to-all unless you really want to
reply to just the sender. Reply-to-list is strongly abhored. Then
if you come to exim-users, you have to remember to use a different
reply behaviour. If you hardly reply on exim-users, that's going to
be very accident prone.

So, I don't think this kind of jumping down people's throats and
threatening to ignore people when they use the wrong reply button is
acceptable behaviour. It could just be an accident caused by there
being no automatic way for an email client to have the _right_
behaviour for a particular list policy.

All the time that list policy is reliant on the right reply button
being pressed, mistakes will happen.

--
Russell King