Re: [exim] Extra copies of list mail (was Re: CVE-2019-10149…

Author: Niels Dettenbach
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Extra copies of list mail (was Re: CVE-2019-10149: already vulnerable ?)
Am Dienstag, 25. Juni 2019, 16:08:08 CEST schrieb Russell King via Exim-
users:
> > I entirely concur, but it is an understandable error given what the
> > mailing
> > list is now doing to sidestep DMARC risks:
> Yes, but there's more points on this subject too...
>
> Given that different lists have different policies, and that it takes
> a mental decision by the replier to choose the correct reply method,
> it seems to me that mistakes will happen.

I did it conscious as i've found it is "usual" on several to "many" other
mailing lists i'm on. But may be this is bad practice by any common or list
specific netiquette or rfc i didn't read yet. Most of the lists are not about
email expertise...

Beside interferences from DMARC and similiar, many (at least large) lists
have significant "delays" of up to several hours it takes to at least some
recipients got mailed, leading sometimes to "confusions" or "broken"
discussions and some list members use filters on list traffic to forward it into
some IMAP folder or similiar for a private "list archive" and read that only
sporadically.

And if i add the senders address, (at least by my intention) "show" him
"technically" that i will accept off-list answers from him too if he want to
decide for (i.e. if it not fit's the list audience).

At least for me it is no "burden" if someone adds me "twice" (on/off-list),
but in respect of others here i will not follow this practice further. sorry
for the noise.

many thanks and
best regards,

niels.