Re: [exim] Extra copies of list mail (was Re: CVE-2019-10149…

Author: Ian Zimmerman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Extra copies of list mail (was Re: CVE-2019-10149: already vulnerable ?)
On 2019-06-25 09:26, Bill Cole wrote:

> > PS:  I do not need an additional copy of list emails.  I get
> >      very tired of getting them.  If your MUA does not have
> >      a "reply to list" button, please get a better one.
> >      I swear, I'm going to start deliberately ignoring anyone
> >      who sends me a useless copy, real soon now.

> I entirely concur, but it is an understandable error given what the
> mailing list is now doing to sidestep DMARC risks:
>
> > From: Jeremy Harris via Exim-users <exim-users@???>

It is very unlikely to be of direct use to others, but nonetheless here
is what I do to mitigate the problem. I download my messages from the
server in two steps/passes: first all list messages (those with a
List-Post header), then all other messages. Each downloaded message
passes through a "formail -D " step before it drops into a folder on my
desktop. This way unwanted personal copies are almost always filtered.

The only scenarios where this will fail are: the personal copy arrives
on the server much sooner than the list copy and is downloaded by an
earlier run, or the sender is devious enough to set 2 distinct
Message-IDs. So far neither has happened to me in the year+ I've been
with this setup.