Re: [exim] cut subjects that are too long + delete emojii fr…

Author: Andrew C Aitchison
To: Bill Cole via Exim-users
CC: Bill Cole
Subject: Re: [exim] cut subjects that are too long + delete emojii from subject lines...
On Wed, 28 Nov 2018, Bill Cole via Exim-users wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2018, at 1:59, Sebastian Nielsen via Exim-users wrote:
>> The reason I want to do it, is because some IMAP clients do crash when
>> it tries to export/backup email with too long subject lines as it
>> tries to write the subject as a filename, and the operating system
>> returns a error code the IMAP client don't understand = crash.
>
> That's a very broken piece of software. No email client should blindly use a
> Subject header as a file name without sanitizing it and no software that
> saves files should crash just because its attempt to create a file fails. I
> have a hard time believing that there are actually multiple such "IMAP
> clients" because these basic issues are far simpler to get right than
> implementing IMAP.

I'm not even sure that these are regular email clients.
A quick search took me to
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19291796/save-mail-with-subject-as-filename
(OK, not IMAP) and other places where people are rolling there own
scripts which cannot handle unconstrained filenames.
This one fails on the ":" in "Re:" :-(

>> Any ideas?
>
> Get better client software?

While using the Subject: line as the filename is superficially
attractive, I'm not sure it makes sense as it isn't unique
(are they trying to keep threads together ?) so you need to
save multiple messages in one file ...

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                    Cambridge, UK
             andrew@???