Re: [exim] cut subjects that are too long + delete emojii fr…

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] cut subjects that are too long + delete emojii from subject lines...
On 28/11/2018 06:59, Sebastian Nielsen via Exim-users wrote:
> How can I reliably cut subjects that are too long, without breaking
> for example quoted-printable encodings and such?

Short answer: you can't, it's too hard.

You'd have to write something that understood all possible encodings.
And you'd be breaking dkim signing.

> Also I want in the same way, filter away all and any emojii (for
> example the truck in Ebay's "Order is now being delivered" emails)
> from subject lines because emojii also causes these IMAP clients im
> talking about to crash

Similar problem, though more tractable as these are almost certainly
UTF-8, so you only have one suite of encoding rules to deal with.
Indeed, there might be enough support in the RE library that ${sg }
sits on to spot UTF-8 characters as single items.

Or, if they're always in the same place, use surrounding info to
know when they're there and just edit those bytes positions out.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy