Re: [exim] cut subjects that are too long + delete emojii fr…

Author: Andrew C Aitchison
To: Sebastian Nielsen
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] cut subjects that are too long + delete emojii from subject lines...
On Wed, 28 Nov 2018, Sebastian Nielsen via Exim-users wrote:

> How can I reliably cut subjects that are too long, without breaking
> for example quoted-printable encodings and such?
>
> Ergo, if the subject line exceeds X characters (where X characters are
> a limit I as system administrator decides) it should just truncate the
> decoded subject line, reencode it, and then send the mail along.
>
> The reason I want to do it, is because some IMAP clients do crash when
> it tries to export/backup email with too long subject lines as it
> tries to write the subject as a filename, and the operating system
> returns a error code the IMAP client don't understand = crash.
>
> Also I want in the same way, filter away all and any emojii (for
> example the truck in Ebay's "Order is now being delivered" emails)
> from subject lines because emojii also causes these IMAP clients im
> talking about to crash (because obviously emojii can't be used as
> filenames), and emoji in email subjects are so useless so im
> speakless...
>
> Any ideas?

Which format is exim using to save messages: unix mailbox, MBX, maildir,
mailstore ?

I'm surprised thst you are using the subject as the filename; you
certainly don't have to do that; the appendfile driver for the
local_delivery transport allows you to set the filename exim uses; you
have presumably explicitly set this to include the subject line, so
can change it to something else ?

Which IMAP *server* is causing these problems ?

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                    Cambridge, UK
             andrew@???