Re: [exim] Some mails are queued, other are sent immediately

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Yvan Masson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Some mails are queued, other are sent immediately
On 2017-12-18 at 15:02 +0100, Yvan Masson wrote:
> Anyway, during tests I noticed that some emails are sent immediately
> (what I prefer), while other are queued (introducing useless delay):
> - Why this difference ?
> - What could I do to avoid the queue ?

By default, Exim will tell you why, with a log-line, when it doesn't
deliver immediately. This appears to have been turned off in your
installation -- I don't know if that's Debian or site-local.

This is the "delay_delivery" log selector field. See:
https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-log_files.html#SECTlogselector

If you run:

exim -bP log_selector

then you'll see the actual configured value.

Get the default logging of "why we're not delivering immediately" turned
back on, and you should be in a stronger position.

If it is turned on, then ... look for signs of a crashing Exim process
(eg, complaints in dmesg).

-Phil