Re: [exim] Some mails are queued, other are sent immediately

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Some mails are queued, other are sent immediately
Phil Pennock <pdp@???> wrote:
> On 2017-12-18 at 15:02 +0100, Yvan Masson wrote:
>> Anyway, during tests I noticed that some emails are sent immediately
>> (what I prefer), while other are queued (introducing useless delay):
>> - Why this difference ?
>> - What could I do to avoid the queue ?

> By default, Exim will tell you why, with a log-line, when it doesn't
> deliver immediately. This appears to have been turned off in your
> installation -- I don't know if that's Debian or site-local.

> This is the "delay_delivery" log selector field. See:
> https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-log_files.html#SECTlogselector

> If you run:

> exim -bP log_selector

> then you'll see the actual configured value.

[...]

For clarification: "exim -bP log_selector" does not show all enabled
selectors, it shows the value of the respective main configuration
setting. e.g. if log_selector is not set it shows an empty value,
instead of exim's compile-time defaults[1]. So unless the command
shows "-delay_delivery" the respective logging option is set.

cu Andreas

[1] acl_warn_skipped connection_reject delay_delivery dnslist_defer
etrn host_lookup_failed lost_incoming_connection queue_run
rejected_header retry_defer sender_verify_fail size_reject
skip_delivery smtp_confirmation tls_certificate_verified tls_cipher