Re: [exim] Some mails are queued, other are sent immediately

Author: Yvan Masson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Some mails are queued, other are sent immediately
Le 22/12/2017 à 06:53, Phil Pennock a écrit :
> On 2017-12-18 at 15:02 +0100, Yvan Masson wrote:
>> Anyway, during tests I noticed that some emails are sent immediately
>> (what I prefer), while other are queued (introducing useless delay):
>> - Why this difference ?
>> - What could I do to avoid the queue ?
>
> By default, Exim will tell you why, with a log-line, when it doesn't
> deliver immediately. This appears to have been turned off in your
> installation -- I don't know if that's Debian or site-local.
>
> This is the "delay_delivery" log selector field. See:
> https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-log_files.html#SECTlogselector
>
> If you run:
>
> exim -bP log_selector
>
> then you'll see the actual configured value.
>
> Get the default logging of "why we're not delivering immediately" turned
> back on, and you should be in a stronger position.
>
> If it is turned on, then ... look for signs of a crashing Exim process
> (eg, complaints in dmesg).
>
> -Phil

Thanks for the hint !

Indeed, this is disabled on my system while I use Debian defaults for
most of the settings. Debian uses a templating system to give "proper"
defaults, which contains this line:

MAIN_LOG_SELECTOR = +smtp_protocol_error +smtp_syntax_error
+tls_certificate_verified +tls_peerdn

If my understanding of the documentation is correct, this should not
disable "delay_delivery"… Anyway, we can enable it by:
- adding "+delay_delivery" to the above line (either in
/etc/exim4/conf.d/main/01_exim4-config_listmacrosdefs
or in /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template depending of the use of a
monolithic or split config)
- and then run "update-exim4.conf"

I need to wait the end of holidays to check the reason of my delivery
delays. I will let you know.

Regards,
Yvan