Re: [exim] Fwd: Rate-limit queue-processing per domain

Author: Charlie Elgholm
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Fwd: Rate-limit queue-processing per domain
> You start up N queue-runner daemons; one for each named queue -
> as well as the traditional one which runs the un-named queue
> and also handle inbound smtp.

A perfect, so it already works that way that the traditional one runs
the un-named queue. Thanks for not having me find that information
myself =)

>> It would be nice to have Exim automatically "back off" when it sees a lot
>> of errors from a domain though. That way we can handle this dynamically,
>> instead of having to manually identify all the domains who need throttling.
>
> Adding to what I said before: your retry config gets a little more
> complex if the "back off" signal from the target is more involved than
> a refusal-to-connect. RCPT-time 4xx is an issue; Exim treats it as
> message-specific not host-specific.

Yep, and that's probably why it doesn't work the way I want. I already
have some special domains listed in my retry-config, but Exim still
processes ALL the mail for that domain. Let's say I have 1000 mails to
hotmail, and get a "please go away"-421 message* 100 mails in, Exim
still tries the remaining 900 mails before they're put up for the
retry-config. Then when they're retried, well, 100 mails in I get the
same message, but Exim tries the remaining 800.. If I was the
rate-limiting server I would think that the connecting server is a bit
retarded ;)

* 2017-10-18 11:42:23 1e4kjd-0006nY-4L SMTP error from remote mail
server after pipelined sending data block: 421 RP-001 (COL004-MC3F9)
Unfortunately, some messages from <ip> weren't sent. Please try again.
We have limits for how many messages can be sent per hour and per day.
You can also refer to
http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors.

/Charlie