Re: [exim] Yahoo "Temporary" Rejections

Author: Dan Liles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Yahoo "Temporary" Rejections
Jason,

What version of exim are you using?

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Exim-users [mailto:exim-users-bounces+danliles72=gmail.com@exim.org]
On Behalf Of Rical Jasan
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:25 PM
To: exim-users@???
Subject: [exim] Yahoo "Temporary" Rejections

Hi,

I'm getting 4xx errors from yahoo, with a link to
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN3434.html that says the rejection is
temporary and to retry in 4 hours. So, I added the following retry rule:

yahoo.com mail_4xx F,2d,4h

Now, this appears to cause /each message/ to be retried in 4 hours, and is
not a blanket for any/all @yahoo.com recipients. Looking at the retry
database, it appears to key on all of recipient, sender, mx, ip, and message
ID, resulting in the mail server trying to send many messages to yahoo, with
each individual message having a retry time of 4h.

I'm aware of the option to remove the sender from the key, but what I would
like to happen is, assuming there are no hints to start with:

1) A message for someone@??? comes in.
2) Exim tries to deliver it, possibly to every possible MX.
3) Exim updates the retry hints database accordingly.
4) 15 minutes later, a message for someonelse@??? comes in.
5) Exim defers the delivery because yahoo.com retries haven't hit 4h.

What am I missing here? We never leave yahoo alone for 4h so they can get
over it.

I can provide more details if necessary.

Thank you,
Rical