Re: [exim] Yahoo "Temporary" Rejections

Author: Jasen Betts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Yahoo "Temporary" Rejections
On 2017-03-16, Rical Jasan <ricaljasan@???> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting 4xx errors from yahoo, with a link to
> https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN3434.html

Basically eveything on that page is a lie.

> that says the
> rejection is temporary and to retry in 4 hours. So, I added the
> following retry rule:
>
> yahoo.com mail_4xx F,2d,4h
>
> Now, this appears to cause /each message/ to be retried in 4 hours, and
> is not a blanket for any/all @yahoo.com recipients.

> Looking at the
> retry database, it appears to key on all of recipient, sender, mx, ip,
> and message ID, resulting in the mail server trying to send many
> messages to yahoo, with each individual message having a retry time of 4h.

The retry rule applies to the context of the error message, if it
comes before "mail from:" it will delay all emails to that MX ip
address. if it comes after "mail from:" it applies only to that
sender etc.

> I'm aware of the option to remove the sender from the key, but what I
> would like to happen is, assuming there are no hints to start with:
>
> 1) A message for someone@??? comes in.
> 2) Exim tries to deliver it, possibly to every possible MX.
> 3) Exim updates the retry hints database accordingly.
> 4) 15 minutes later, a message for someonelse@??? comes in.
> 5) Exim defers the delivery because yahoo.com retries haven't hit 4h.
>
> What am I missing here? We never leave yahoo alone for 4h so they can
> get over it.

You need to force "queue_only" else the email will be tried as soon at
it appears on your server.