[exim] Yahoo "Temporary" Rejections

Author: Rical Jasan
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Yahoo "Temporary" Rejections
Hi,

I'm getting 4xx errors from yahoo, with a link to
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN3434.html that says the
rejection is temporary and to retry in 4 hours. So, I added the
following retry rule:

yahoo.com mail_4xx F,2d,4h

Now, this appears to cause /each message/ to be retried in 4 hours, and
is not a blanket for any/all @yahoo.com recipients. Looking at the
retry database, it appears to key on all of recipient, sender, mx, ip,
and message ID, resulting in the mail server trying to send many
messages to yahoo, with each individual message having a retry time of 4h.

I'm aware of the option to remove the sender from the key, but what I
would like to happen is, assuming there are no hints to start with:

1) A message for someone@??? comes in.
2) Exim tries to deliver it, possibly to every possible MX.
3) Exim updates the retry hints database accordingly.
4) 15 minutes later, a message for someonelse@??? comes in.
5) Exim defers the delivery because yahoo.com retries haven't hit 4h.

What am I missing here? We never leave yahoo alone for 4h so they can
get over it.

I can provide more details if necessary.

Thank you,
Rical