Re: [exim] conditional transport filters?

Góra strony
Autor: Chris Siebenmann
Dla: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-users, cks
Temat: Re: [exim] conditional transport filters?
> - Lose router "unseen"

We have several routers that use 'unseen = true'. If this is now
considered a bad idea, what's the best mechanism to make copies of a
message on the way through and send them to specific destinations?

(One router makes a copy of all received mail that's written to a
different and read-only mailbox, so that no matter what accidents
people do with their regular inbox they can always recover any
message from the last two weeks or so. Another router generates
'vacation' messages for people who have set an option to do so;
both we and our user base finds this much easier than editing .forward
files to do the same thing.)

> There are other ideas buried in the bugs which are more far-reaching.
> Reducing the number of languages involved in an exim config was one (I
> count: ACL, retries, router-chain, authenticators, exim-filter...).

If one is going to go for wholesale configuration rewriting, I would
agitate for creating or embedding a real programming language. String
expansion plus carefully ordering routers/ACLs/etc can do a great deal,
but it is not exactly clear and I think it would be quite improved if
you could directly express ACL logic and routing logic.

(I suppose the modern low-ish-effort version is embedded Lua with
hooks and so on exposed.)

    - cks