Re: [exim] Hi@ALL - Exim4 Multidomain / Multidomain-Multiins…

Author: Jasen Betts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Hi@ALL - Exim4 Multidomain / Multidomain-Multiinstance Setup possible?
On 2015-09-26, dcentury@??? <dcentury@???> wrote:
> Hi,
> Iam Dave from Germany and just want to introduce myself.
> Iam trying to evaluate/compare/test postfix2, exim4 and sendmail8 and
> document my findings/results.
>
> My background:
> Iam familar postfix, creating a multidomain/multidomain-multiinstance
> setups with encryption enabled (TLS/SSL with valid free DV-StartSSL.com
> certs) on a dualstack IPv4 and IPv6 system.
> I can change the bind9 dns settings (mx, a, aaaa, ns, spf records) any
> time because its not a production system, so if something fails it
> doesnt realy matter.
>
> Some questions:
>
> #manuals
> "Specification of the Exim Mail Transfer Agent - Exim Maintainers" (Rev.
> 4.82) *.pdf 28 Oct 2013 (i run 4.84 #2)
> Is there any good books out there (i prefer *.epub, *.pdf or something i
> can use offline on my Tablet where all my docs are stored)

> #multidomain
> As descibed above I was able to setup postfix on a single domain,
> multiple domains and bound to one specific and later multiple
> IPv4/IPv6-Addresses (isolated smtpd instances)
> Q: Is there an option in exim4 to do the same?

Yes it's possible, exim usually uses a single instace model where
one configuration covers all the domains, there are methods whereby
the configuration can be split into smaller files which can help with
complex setups.

start by deciding how _you_ want to store the configuration for each
domain: exim can talk to most data stores.

eg: a few years ago I setup an exim-dbmail-postgresql system where all the
users, domains, and mailboxes exist only as database records.

> #multiinstance
> Postfix can handle parallel instances (any instance has its own
> configfiles, multiple ques, directories ect.) (the "postmulti -I <name>
> -e create" utility can help to do this)
> Q: Is there an way in exim4 to do smothing like this (without
> virtualization like jails, kvm, vmware ect)?

it can be done but is not usual. if needed a single exim instance can give
different 220 greetings, use different TLS keys, different
access control logic, and different received headers, depending (for
instance) on the IP address you connect to.

(I'm using this for 220 and TLS myself)

Not just those settings, any setting in the exim spec marked with a
daggar "†" in the "type" column can be customised depending on just
about anything that has already happened in the SMTP conversation.

--
\_(ツ)__