Re: [exim] Hi@ALL - Exim4 Multidomain / Multidomain-Multiins…

Author: Jon Gerdes
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] Hi@ALL - Exim4 Multidomain / Multidomain-Multiinstance Setup possible?
Hi Dave

(Answers inline)

On Sat, 2015-09-26 at 10:52 +0200, dcentury@??? wrote:
> Hi,
> Iam Dave from Germany and just want to introduce myself.
> Iam trying to evaluate/compare/test postfix2, exim4 and sendmail8 and
> document my findings/results.
>
> My background:
> Iam familar postfix, creating a multidomain/multidomain-multiinstance
> setups with encryption enabled (TLS/SSL with valid free DV
> -StartSSL.com
> certs) on a dualstack IPv4 and IPv6 system.
> I can change the bind9 dns settings (mx, a, aaaa, ns, spf records)
> any
> time because its not a production system, so if something fails it
> doesnt realy matter.
>
> Some questions:
>
> #manuals
> "Specification of the Exim Mail Transfer Agent - Exim Maintainers"
> (Rev.
> 4.82) *.pdf 28 Oct 2013 (i run 4.84 #2)
> Is there any good books out there (i prefer *.epub, *.pdf or
> something i
> can use offline on my Tablet where all my docs are stored)

The Specification document is a great manual already and is available
as a pdf. It was not simply written years ago and left to rot. I have
seen it discussed here regularly and great care is taken to ensure it
is correct for each version. There are no hidden features: it's in
the manual and it is documented exhaustively.

> #multidomain
> As descibed above I was able to setup postfix on a single domain,
> multiple domains and bound to one specific and later multiple
> IPv4/IPv6-Addresses (isolated smtpd instances)
> Q: Is there an option in exim4 to do the same?

Yes. You specify which IP/ports to bind to in the config. Choosing to
receive for a domain or multiple domains is done through the Access
Control Lists and the Routing and Transport sections. Macros can be
defined to make the config more expressive and easy to follow.

> #multiinstance
> Postfix can handle parallel instances (any instance has its own
> configfiles, multiple ques, directories ect.) (the "postmulti -I
> <name>
> -e create" utility can help to do this)
> Q: Is there an way in exim4 to do smothing like this (without
> virtualization like jails, kvm, vmware ect)?

You can but I've never seen the need for this myself. You could
rewrite an init script so that when you symlink to it, the -C option is
changed to reflect the name of the symlink.

eg:

/etc/init.d/exim config = /etc/exim/exim.conf
/etc/init.d/exim-1 config = /etc/exim-1.conf

Many distros already support somthing like this by default.

> Ok, thadts all,
> Greetings and have a nice weekend
> Dave

Blueloop Ltd
01460 271055
https://www.blueloop.net
Blueloop House, Ilchester Road, YEOVIL, BA21 3AA Registered England & Wales - 3981322