Re: [exim] OT: Annonymuos poster

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Heiko Schlittermann
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] OT: Annonymuos poster

> On 4 Sep 2015, at 10:03, Heiko Schlittermann <hs@???> wrote:
>

> OTOH everybody is free to choose just some name. So, how can you know
> that my name on this list is my real name? That means, the full name of
> the poster is of limited use.

Your name is simply what you ask people to call you. There are some legal restrictions in the UK: the names that you use on documents like passports have to be formally attested: you can’t use another person's name for the purpose of deception, and so on. Otherwise there are no "real" names or "false" names.

So, it’s OK to use whatever name you like, but it is polite to offer someone some sort of name. Of course, some names (I’ll avoid making suggestions here) are going to make you look like a dork so they’re best avoided.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex