Re: [pcre-dev] Using the Google C++ PCRE code

Author: Zoltán Herczeg
To: Matthew Hall
CC: Sowrinaidu, Elavarasan \(TS R&D\), pcre-dev@exim.org, Udayashankar, Rashmi
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Using the Google C++ PCRE code
Hi,

>It has almost as many matching features as PCRE with same syntax, and is
>guaranteed non-backtracking with linear time performance in the length of the
>input.

Hm, not exactly. Re2 never said that. They have a list of available features, and the more interesting ones are all grayed out:

https://code.google.com/p/re2/wiki/Syntax

Linear runtime doesn't make it faster than PCRE. Sometimes it is much faster, sometimes it is much slower, sometimes they have the same speed. You can see some interesting facts in my presentation on CGO 2014:

http://cgo.org/cgo2014/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Extend_PCRE.pdf

Regards,
Zoltan